An Open Letter to all California Leaders
Thursday, March 19th, 2020 — en español abajo
The spread of the coronavirus across the globe is already having far reaching personal and collective impacts. More than ever, every Californian needs shelter from the storm. We all deserve the reassurance of housing and income security as jobs are being lost and the economy is spiraling.
Despite the urgency of the moment, Governor Newsom is shamefully passing the responsibility to protect people onto local governments and financial institutions instead of utilizing his power as the Chief Administrator of the State of California to enact bold measures that will provide collective safety and security. His executive order on housing is weak and does little more than encourage cities and banks to provide housing protection to a small subset of people from potential eviction or foreclosure, but only if they choose to.
- The order ALLOWS foreclosure and eviction filings to continue.
- The order ALLOWS eviction proceedings to move forward.
- The order ALLOWS foreclosure auctions to continue and permits sheriff’s departments to throw people onto the streets.
Californians have been urged, and in some cases ordered, to stay home to prevent the spread of the coronavirus but the state government has not banned banks or landlords from forcing people out of their homes. As long as this virus is spreading and killing people, ALL CALIFORNIANS must be housed. Protecting our most vulnerable neighbors protects all of us.
The time to act is NOW! .. Click here for a Media.com post.
Greetings Bay Area PPC members, supporters and comrades, we hope all is well with you and your family during these stressful times. Take good care of yourselves so we can get together when the crisis ends. If you need help or support please call, text or e-mail us for support ( sorry no hugs). Please allow me to share a few articles, info and resources:
- COVID-19 Resources for Partners (Multiple Languages) http://bit.ly/2VHjXA1
- Guest Commentary: We Need Bold Action Now to Protect Those Detained at Yuba County Jail – and Nationwide – from Coronavirus-visit:
- Coronavirus: Pandemic is a new reason to help homeless people – Los Angeles Times
- Think kids won’t suffer from COVID-19? Wrong: It threatens them with more poverty, hunger, homelessness
- Please visit CA PPC and National PPC’s Facebook pages for updates: https://www.facebook.com/anewppc/ AND https://www.facebook.com/californiappc/
Thinking of you: Take care, stay healthy and safe!!!
Thank you for your commitment to the Poor People’s Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival
Laney College Poor People’s Campaign